In January 2023, the Brunswick City School District Board of Education voted to place a 3.3 mill bond issue on the May 02, 2023, ballot to fund the implementation of the district's Master Facilities Plan.
The Brunswick City School District’s strategic plan, adopted in 2019, set forth goals in teaching and learning, developing the whole child, communications and finance and facilities. The finance and facilities goal included the development of a Master Facilities Plan to address the short and long term facility needs of the district.
In the spring of 2022, the district was notified by the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission (OFCC) of the opportunity to receive funding from the state that would cover 39% of the cost of one primary component of the Master Facilities Plan - a new high school. According to the OFCC, the high school is in need of expensive repairs that are not financially viable. In order to receive funding from the OFCC, the district has to take action to move forward with the Master Facilities Plan within 13 months (September 2023).
In August 2022, the Board voted to pursue a ballot issue to help fund the implementation of the plan. By implementing this plan, the BCSD remains pursuant to our strategic direction that values providing an optimal learning environment and transformative learning experience for our students in a safe and fiscally responsible manner.
Brunswick City School District is committed to the goal of providing an exceptional, personalized education where each student will be challenged, prepared and empowered to meet the demands of an ever-changing world. The plan developed for the Brunswick City School District facilities builds upon this value for our students and their education.
What's included in the plan?
If the Brunswick City School District community approves the proposed bond issue, the Master Facilities Plan will:
- Build a new high school.
- Add classrooms and make site improvements to improve traffic patterns at Applewood and Kidder Elementary Schools.
- Build a performing arts center for the high school with seating for 1,000.
- Build a new synthetic turf multi-purpose field, new tennis courts and a new full-sized baseball field.
- Demolish the current maintenance building, Towslee Elementary, Willetts Middle School and the existing Brunswick High School.
- Build a new maintenance facility on the site of Willets Middle School to replace the current building located on the BHS campus.
- Build a Board of Education office on the current site of Willets Middle School for a more cost-effective and intentional space as a result of the demolition of the current BHS.
In January 2023, the Board voted to place a 3.3 mill bond issue on the May 02, 2023, ballot to fund the implementation of the Master Facilities Plan.
If the BCSD community approves the bond issue, construction will begin in 2024.