Student Handbook/Dress Code
The staff and administration at Brunswick City Schools believe that students’ standards of dress affect the overall learning environment of the school. Students are expected to dress appropriately at all times. Any fashion (dress, accessory, or hairstyle) that disrupts the educational process or presents a safety risk will not be permitted. The school has the right to and will require reasonable conformity to a dress code that supports good standards of health, safety and modesty. (Note: Students who are representing Brunswick City Schools at an official function or public event may be required to follow specific dress requirement such as field trips, clubs or music groups).
Any violation of the dress code will result in the following action:
- Call parent/guardian and/or 2. Discipline as deemed necessary
- Shirts: Students are not permitted to wear halter tops, tank tops, tube tops and any other shirt leaving cleavage or midriff exposed. All shirts must have sleeves. Shirts cannot expose underwear.
- Pants: Students are not permitted to have ripped or torn pants. Students are not permitted to wear pajama bottoms or pants that expose underwear. When wearing yoga pants, tights, leggings, or jeggings a student must be wearing a top that is longer than fingertip length when the arms are extended straight down.
- Dresses/Skirts/Shorts: Dresses, skirts, and shorts must be longer than fingertip length when the arms are extended straight down . Tights/leggings may only be worn under dresses, skirts or shorts that are longer than fingertip length when the arms are extended straight down.
- Shoes: Standard footwear must be worn. Slippers are not permitted.
- Coats: All coats are to remain in lockers.
- Hats: Students are not permitted to wear any form of hat, bandana, or head wrap covering all of their hair. All hats must remain in lockers.
- Sunglasses: Students are not permitted to wear sunglasses in the building.
- Jewelry: Including jewelry worn in piercings must be non-distracting from the school environment and may not pose any danger to the student or to others in any school activities/environments. Small hoops or studs should be worn in piercings; spikes are not allowed. Chains and spikes are not permitted. These will be confiscated by the administration.
- Clothing decorated with offensive, obscene language or gestures or promoting drugs, alcohol, tobacco, sex, violence or self-destructive behaviors or other inappropriate logos (as determined by the administration) are not permitted.
Disclaimer: Any new “fads” in clothing, or anything not specifically covered in the above guidelines, determined to be inappropriate dress, shall be dealt with at the discretion of the principal or designee.